About this Episode:
In this episode, Kat is joined by John McClelland, Vice President of Research at Coldwell Banker Commercial Premier.
John provides in-depth analysis of the housing market that helps homeowners, corporations, and developers make the most educated decisions in real estate.
In this episode, John talks about the current state of ever-changing market conditions, the specific ways in which his team utilizes data to create in-depth analysis, and the importance of data in validating assumptions with empirical evidence.
Vice President of Research at Coldwell
Banker Commercial Premier
- 3:06 - 4:18 Making Data Actionable & Replicable – Working with vast amounts of data requires you to be thorough, but you also need to make it digestible for busy brokers and other stakeholders. It’s important to find a balance and document everything.
- 6:06 - 9:27 Landscape of Commercial Real Estate Data – CRE has many sources of data, some specific to region, including MLS, GIS, Census, State Sources and more. It’s important to bring together the relevant sources available and tell a clear story.
- 9:28 - 11:45 Emerging Technologies and Data Sources in CRE – CRE is being transformed by newer technologies like automated valuation models and human mobility data that enable more scalable and intelligent approaches to trade areas, pathing and more.
- 16:20 - 18:19 The Role of Imperfect Data in the 2008 Housing Crash – Leading up to the housing bubble, many economists were missing information about the lending market and mortgage backed securities, which led to the crash in 2008.
- 24:50 - 27:52 What are the Big Questions People Want Data to Answer – Some of the top questions and use cases data is used for in CRE.
- 29:36 - 34:06 How Technology is Disrupting CRE – CRE has generally lagged in using technology and data at scale due to how heterogeneous the product is and how much other due diligence is required, but that’s changing quickly.