You will be joining Near, one of the fastest growing Enterprise SaaS companies and experience a true start-up culture with the freedom to experiment and innovate. At Near, we believe that great culture is not just about work; it’s work + life. We not only encourage our employees to dream big, but also give them the freedom and the tools to do so.
Near is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead and scale our lean engineering organization. This role provides an opportunity to work closely with the Executive Team and is great for people who can work independently and are self-driven.
This is a rare opportunity to build and lead a team that is creating a global data platform harnessing signals from over a billion MAUs and used by partners across the United States, Europe, Japan and Asia Pacific. We are looking for a driven and ambitious leader who can play a pivotal role in the next phase of our journey.
A Day in the Life
- In collaboration with the engineering leads, set and articulate the technical vision and direction for multiple agile teams working to deliver the next generation platform.
- Work closely with Product and Data Science counterparts to review and evolve the engineering teams’ KPIs that focuses on building a great product that addresses productivity, efficiency, satisfaction and competitive differentiation.
- Use communication and collaboration tools to provide a high level of visibility and transparency around KPIs, design, backlog and results to Executive and other teams.
- Manage resources across multiple agile teams, ensuring that each team is strategically aligned and fully owns their area of responsibility.
- Embrace and evangelize the Lean Startup principles of KPI-driven development.
- Execute the ‘build-measure-learn’ cycle to turn ideas into MVPs, measure the effect on KPIs, and pivot or persevere based on results.
- Work to constantly challenge and improve existing infrastructure and processes to accelerate the feedback loop.
- Provide line management for all direct reports, complete annual reviews and conduct performance management for the engineering team.
- Recruit, motivate, mentor and lead a high-caliber team on an ongoing basis.
- Evaluate the challenges faced by the Product and Business teams and take actions to mitigate the risks and plan for the future.
- Communicate with stakeholders the impact of market and technology changes and potential effects on engineering.
- Recommend solutions without compromising quality or service while optimizing cost.
What You Bring to the Role
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in engineering from a reputed institute.
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering, with at least 3 years in an engineering management role.
- Experience with highly scalable systems and hands-on experience in big data technologies.
- Experience in a fast-moving, growth-minded startup, and comfort with needing to be flexible and adaptable as requirements change.
- Strong leadership skills including vision-setting, goal setting, coaching, team building, empowerment, and cross-functional communication.
- Thorough and current understanding of technologies and frameworks, especially in Java.
- Proven ability to efficiently manage all aspects of the software development lifecycle in an Agile environment.
- Good experience on cloud infrastructure - AWS preferably.